we can do better
People who make consumer tech and media systems are, together, responsible for the quality of the human media environment.
We believe there are certain questions, certain unknowns, which must be faced in our field. Without facing these questions, it is impossible to even imagine what a better media environment would look like:
- Which social environments allow people to support one another best?
- What goes wrong in science popularization and in political discussion?
- How can people become joint authors of their own media environments?
- Do some media viewing environments offer better support for thinking for oneself?
- Do some menus encourage us to make more meaningful choices?
- What are the downsides and upsides of textual, video, and in-person connections?
- What are the advantages of communicating with strangers? With friends?